Monday, February 22, 2010

Veggie kids, pthalate kids

I have been reading the book Slow Death By Rubber Duck and quite promptly removed the pthalate-laden shampoos, soaps and cleaners from the house. I switched the kids to Kiss My Face Shampoo, Method bubble bath and Burt's Bee's soap. I switched my lotion and shampoo to Burt's as well. I also now only clean with Method products.

***on a side note about Method cleaning products- I asked the cleaning lady we used after Ruby was born to use my cleaners after her first visit made me ill. I came home and was hit by a wall of overwhelming chemicals. She wasn't using anything I hadn't been exposed to before, but when was the last time EVERY surface of your home was cleaned in 2 hours? I had to open all the windows and leave the house. So on her second visit I asked her to use my stuff: Method bathroom & counter cleaners and a mix of vinegar and water for the floors and glass. When she arrived for her third visit she thanked me and told me that had switched to the things I was using (they worked as well or better than what she'd been using) - it had been the first time she'd finished her work day without a headache. ***


I am now constantly thinking about our unintended exposures to all kinds of chemicals. Why is my organic broccoli shrink wrapped? What's in the glue on the stickers on the organic apples and pears (which I still wash, bird poo and farmers' sneezes, you know)? You really think it's a good idea to steam those veggies in the PLASTIC bag? Cooking rice in a boil-in bag? What's the poly-fiber fill in that new pillow been treated with? No thanks, I don't need that BPA laden receipt (you should wear gloves, grocery cashier lady). Oh, and there's mercury in high fructose corn syrup. I am pleased to say the only thing I could find in the house that had any was the 3 year old Hershey's syrup, which I promptly threw away.

I am trying not to turn into that crazy hemp-poncho-wearing--milks-her-own-goat-lives-in-a-yurt-in-the-desert lady. But enough already!

No comments: