Saturday, February 27, 2010

Regrets

We all have 'em, we all have to live with them.

Last week was the last Saturday for the kids' soccer skills and drills class. Of course, we could sign up again for another 8 weeks, $100 per kid. I asked them both if they'd like to do it again. If they are genuinely interested and having fun I am willing, it fits easily into our schedule, once a week early on Saturday mornings.

Sophie immediatley said, "no." I suggested we think it over and talk about it again later. When I asked on Thursday she said no again, but Will said yes. Steve and I talked about it, it's pretty nice to be able to take both of them to an activity at the same time, but it's Saturday morning so it's not that big of a deal.

When I called the sportsplex to register Will on Friday afternoon I asked her one more time, "You're sure you don't want to do soccer again?" "NO, mommy." Okay. I registered Will for the next level, we're ready to go.

As the kids are laying out their clothes for Saturday morning, I remind Will to put out soccer clothes. Sophie looks at me, a hurt expression on her face, "Why am I not going to soccer?!" uh, because you said you didn't want to. "But is there still space? Could I go tomorrow and sign up?"

Steve and I put the kids to bed and then discussed what we should do. We decided to not take her. She said no on three separate occasions, Steve thinks its a power play on her part, he remembers doing the same thing as a kid.

Now is the time to learn to live with your regret. Maybe next time she will be honest both with herself and with me.

No comments: