Thursday, March 10, 2016

Treat Thursday!

Seven years ago, when my oldest started Kindergarten, (and I was stupid and idealistic) she made it all of 3 days before she began begging for cookies in her lunch, "like the other kids have."

I was not going to put cookies in her no-waste, farm-to-table, meticulously planned bento box lunch. Good mothers just don't do such things.

But here's the rub, I love her.  And I get it, everyone else around you has something you think is wonderful and you feel deprived... And I love treats, no surprise.

So, after several weeks of being pestered, I made her a deal.  Once a week, I will put a treat in your lunchbox.  What day do you want it?

"Thursdays"

She answered with no hesitation, "Thursdays are the worst day of the week."

And so, every Thursday since then, the kids have gotten a treat in their lunch boxes.

Interestingly, several years later, I was relaying this story of why, once a week, Ruby was getting a treat in her lunch to her kindergarten teacher, and Jane very quickly confirmed that Thursday is, in fact, the worst day of the week for most kids.  Past the novelty of a new week, but not actually the end.


No comments: