Friday, February 19, 2016

Homework Help

How do you get your kids to let you help them with the mechanics of homework and studying?


I have a million ideas for getting them organized: folders, dividers, highlighters, post its! This is the crap I live for.  Office supply stores are one of my favorite places to go.  So much promise.

Most of these aren't my own, original ideas.  In the eighth grade we were required to take a semester of "study skills."  The teacher gave us binders and dividers, showed us how to set them up with our subjects in the order we had them and then added pockets with "to do" and "to turn it" on either side.  She showed us different ways to organize each class with internal tabs of "notes" "homework," "class work." She taught us note taking strategies for lectures, watching movies, reading articles and textbooks. Not to mention all the silly test taking strategies, remember "if it's multiple choice and you aren't certain, chose 'C'?  Her class stuck with me, it got me through high school and college.

Now if I could just convince my kids that I have real, tested, solid ideas.

No comments: