Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dreaming

I have been spending a lot of time lately imagining and designing my "perfect" house. Kitchen with a knee-high brick fireplace, bar/counter seating for 5, eat-in space for 8-10 to one side and a cozy lounge-y/ craft-y/ home-office space to the other. Sunlight in the eating area in the morning and sunlight in the lounge-y space in the afternoon. Skylights. A screened porch and deck with outdoor eating space easily available. A fire pit in the back yard. A finished, walk-out basement. Woods and a creek to get muddy in. Space in the garage for 2 cars AND all the bikes, scooters, wagons and sports gear. A mop sink, work bench and second fridge in the garage, too. A laundry room with counter space to hold at least 4 laundry baskets, a utility sink and natural lighting. And space for an ironing board. (okay, I am just getting greedy now, but it's a fantasy) Double sinks in the kids' bathroom and space to open the door, walk in and out while someone is using the sink. I don't need a fancy master bathroom, I find huge bathrooms to be a waste of space. (I do like a water closet, though).

When I was in upper elementary and middle school I spent hours and hours pouring over house plan books and drawing my own plans on reams of graph paper. Miraculously no one ever suggested architecture as a profession to me. By the time I made it high school I was convinced that I was horrible at math and I'd traded my pads of graph paper for water color paper and sketch books. Turned out, I was great at geometry, solving proofs seemed stupid to me because the answers were always seemed so organic and glaringly obvious. Yet somehow, I still may have missed my calling. hmmm.

No comments: