Sunday, March 7, 2010

Spring Prep

I started planning this spring's garden last fall, thinking about which veggies to plant, when to plant them and how much to plant. We ate a ton of salad last fall, the kids even started eating it, seeing as how it was "their" lettuce. It was really nice to just go and cut what we needed each night, so I think we'll several varieties again.

I also want to plant stuff I know the kids will eat: broccoli, strawberries and cucumbers are a sure bet. And we'll try other veggies that they've been luke warm to so far: beans and peas maybe potatoes (yes, my kids don't like potatoes.) Maybe having ownership will spur them toward love.

We are also going to do a novelty veggie, also the kids' pick: purple and yellow carrots.

Then I am going to do some flowers (we need bees to come around) and we'll try pumpkins again and do so old standbys: cherry tomatoes, basil, oregano. My lavender and rosemary both did great through the winter and will continue to thrive.

Last week we turned the soil over in the existing bed, it was, as promised by the crazy square foot garden guy, loose and light and wonderful. I will take the top grid off this week and add some more compost to freshen it up.

Today I started oiling the wood to make a second raised bed. I think I will make one section extra deep for the carrots and potatoes, right now it's 6". I'll assemble the box this week while the weather is nice and then gather what I need to make the soil. I need to harvest compost from the worm bin and then I am going to hit up my friend's chickens for a bucket of poo. The rest I have in the garage.

I will also do some containers with the same soil mix, we'll plant pumpkins in some, so we can keeps the vines in a manageable place, along side the house. And I am thinking of doing pole beans in a pot, climbing the trellis that is next to our front porch. I am just not sure how I'll keep the deer away from them.

I would really like to figure a way to some veggies and herbs around our mailbox for passersby to pick and use, but I am not sure how to make it visually appealing for my neighbors.

No comments: