Saturday, September 26, 2009

Feeding yourself

We planted the veggie garden today! 5 kinds of lettuce, bok choy, 2 varieties of broccoli and a cauliflower. I am attempting to create a "square foot garden"tm. I read the book. Or most of it anyway. There was an entire chapter dedicated to the author's crazy egotism that (I imagine) publishing a successful book creates. And honestly, that first chapter almost put me off it entirely. If I'd read it in the bookstore, I wouldn't have bought it. But the theory seems sound and I like the idea of low maintenance gardening.

The plan is basically this: Build up, don't dig down (digging is impractical here in the red clay). Mix your own potting soil (I like knowing what's going into my food). Plant only what you'll use or can share. Plant everything within your reach so you don't have to create a giant garden with rows (this works well as we have a teeny weeny patch of yard that gets more than 5 hours of sun a day). The last thing this allows you to do is easily protect your plants from bunnies and deer. The garden is only 4'x4' so I was able to make a light weight lid/cage from chicken wire.

I have high hopes for our salad intake this fall!

No comments: